Anand Akundy has a post graduate and doctoral degree in Social Anthropology. He served as Director of the Centre for Human Development and Area Chairperson of the Health Studies Area at the Administrative Staff College of India (ASCI) – Hyderabad (www.asci.org.in), during which time he carried out many research, consulting projects and training programs between 2007 and 2012. He was selected into a three member National Team by UNDP – Evaluation Office, New York which commissioned the study for evaluating UNDP – India projects executed during 2007 and 12. He is currently a Senior Faculty Member at the Institute of Public Enterprise (www.ipeindia.org), Osmania University campus, Hyderabad – 500007. He is also a Senior Fellow of the ICSSR. He has recently been awarded a prestigious research grant by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) for carrying out research on Social Determinants of Health. He teaches General Management, Research Methods and specialized courses on Culture and Management at IPE.
Academic Area: General Management, Social Anthropology, Organizational Culture and Development
Degrees: Masters and PhD in Social Anthropology.
- Associate Professor and Director at the Administrative Staff College of India
- General Management
- Research Methods
- Language Lab
- Understanding and Delineating principles and pathways that establish linkages and connect discourses between the cultures of the emic and larger business and social space has always been a research problem that I have tried to inquire into; this approach led me to design research questions and methodologies relevantly. Critics of Top Down approaches did not lay down the alternatives in policy making while the discourses of Bottom up approaches need to be further disaggregated before they can lead to coherent inclusive and participatory policy making in the spheres of public and private sectors as well. My engagement tries to fill the lacuna explained in the preceding statements.
- My research interests include areas that explore opening new ways of understanding problems and issues concerning Management and Social Sciences, in other words, the interdisciplinary approach that tries to align practices in these supposedly divergent academic streams.
- Advancing Equity in Primary Health Care – ICMR commissioned a study of Social Determinants of Health.
- Recent Publication: The Indian Social Sector: Trends and Issues, 2015, eds. R.K.Mishra and Anand Akundy, Academic Foundation, New Delhi
- ICSSR (Indian Council of Social Science Research) Senior Fellowship.