The Ph.D programme of the Institute is one of the largest in the social sciences field. The Institute commenced the programme in 1976 to train post-graduates in social sciences seeking to obtain the Ph.D degree from Indian universities on problems relating to public enterprise. The Institute’s Ph.D programme has been recognized by nine Universities, namely Osmania University, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, University of Hyderabad, Utkal University, Andhra University, S.K. University, Sri Venkateswara University and The University of Mysore and Rayalseema University in Commerce, Economics, Management and Public Administration. 54 candidates have completed their Ph.D and 17 candidates are presently registered for the award.
Apart from the ICSSR, the Institute awards its own fellowships in order to extend financial support to the research scholars desirous of making contributions in public enterprise area, management, social sciences and governance and public policy under the aegis of its Ph.D Programme. The disciplines recognized for such support are Economics, Commerce, Education, Management, Business Administration, Psychology, Political Science, International Relations, Public Administration, Sociology, Social Work, Governance and Public Policy and Energy and Environment.
I. IPE National Doctoral Fellowships
IPE National Doctoral Fellowships have been instituted to provide opportunities to young scholars to pursue full-time research leading to a Ph.D degree in Management or related disciplines. The fellowships aim to train prospective scholars to become highly skilled and innovative researchers.
The central objective of the IPE National Doctoral Fellowships is to prepare scholars for careers demanding advanced research and analytical capabilities.
Leading institutes of management are avidly looking for research talent capable of advancing management education and research. So also management consultancy as well as industrial organizations are anxious to induct those who have acquired research qualifications. The proposed doctoral fellowship programme is designed to serve these niche areas.
Eligibility for the Fellowship
- Candidates with brilliant academic record, project experience and good publication record will be preferred.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management / allied subject with a minimum of 60% marks from reputed management institute viz., IIMs/IITs or premier management institutions in India or abroad.
- Executives of Public / Private sector firms with a minimum of 2-3 years’ experience with a strong research inclination and possessing a master’s degree with a minimum of 60% marks.
- Faculty from Universities from India/abroad, research institutions with 2-3years of experience desirous of pursuing a doctoral programme, having qualified NET / M.Phil. with a consistent and outstanding academic record.
- Candidates must not be more than 30 years of age relaxable in exceptional cases.
IPE is recognized as a research center and its faculty as research supervisors by the following universities:
- Osmania University
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University
- University of Hyderabad
- University of Mysore
- Utkal University
- Andhra University
- SK University
- Sri Venkateswara University
- Rayalseema University
The scholars will be registered with one of the above mentioned universities and the rules governing the doctoral research of the concerned university will be applicable in addition to the rules formulated by the Institute concerning the IPE National Doctoral Fellowship.
Criteria for Selection (NDF)
Level 1: Passing the Research Aptitude Test to be conducted by IPE (upon shortlisting of the application)
Level 2: Presentation of the proposed research work before an expert panel followed by an interview
As per the requirements of the registering universities, the scholars will have to take Pre-Ph.D examination.
Structure of the Programme
The programme will have the following components:
- Mandatory course
- Comprehensive examination
- Formulation of thesis proposal for doctoral level research
- Publication requirements
- Registration, pre-Ph.D examination and seminars
- Thesis submission
- Thesis evaluation process
- Research / teaching assistantship
These courses are aimed at providing basic knowledge and skills to the scholars for a research role and in-depth exposure to the contemporary themes of development in their knowledge-domain and related areas of interest. The scholars can also take a course of independent study on any topic of their research interest. The course of independent study would be aimed at developing sound research propositions on chosen issues or problems of management and testing them through pilot research.
Click here to download Research hand Book.
Comprehensive Examination and Thesis Approval Seminar
Thesis topic approval seminar and comprehensive examination should go together. On completion of the course work, the scholars will take a comprehensive examination whose purpose is to ascertain that they have obtained a satisfactory level of knowledge of specialization and that they have satisfactorily integrated the various inputs provided as a part of the course work. Parallelly, the scholar will develop a thesis proposal and give a seminar on the thesis proposal to the academic committee for its approval.
The thesis should be a scholarly contribution to knowledge pertinent to the understanding and resolution of management problems. After passing the comprehensive examination, the scholar will enter the thesis stage. Under the guidance of supervisor, the scholar will pursue independent and original research towards preparation of a thesis. The thesis may require field investigation and observation. The thesis should include effective analysis and evaluation of relevant data to yield independent and significant conclusions.
The research undertaken by IPE National Doctoral Fellowship awardees is expected to provide sufficient basis for writing papers in refereed academic journals. One of the objectives of the doctoral fellow programme is to educate the scholars in being ready to contribute in this manner. Hence, by the time the scholar submits the thesis, he / she should have had at least one paper accepted for publication in an international and another in a national, refereed journal.
As required by the registering universities, the scholars are required to offer a pre-submission seminar prior to completion of research.
On approval of the thesis proposal, the scholar will work closely with the supervisor (s) assigned to him. On completion of the thesis work, the scholar will submit 8 copies of the thesis to IPE for retention in IPE Library and onward submission to the university where the scholar is registered.
Teaching assistantship requirement
The teaching assistantship requirement ensures teaching skills in IPE National Doctoral Fellowship scholars. A scholar will be expected to work with a faculty member as a ‘teaching assistant’ to provide support in teaching courses at the MBA / PGDBM programmes. The minimum load required for teaching assistantship is about 8 hours per week.
Fellowship value and duration
IPE National Doctoral Fellowships shall carry a stipend of the value of Rs.27,000/- per month in the first year and Rs.30,000/- during the subsequent two years. The scholars will be entitled to an HRA of 30% of the fellowship amount per month. There will be a contingency grant of Rs.15000/-per annum to support the field work, purchase of books etc. IPE National Doctoral Fellowships will be provided for a period of three years extendable at the most to the fourth year based on satisfactory progress of the doctoral work as certified by the supervisor and approved by the research committee. IPE is also endeavouring to build relationships with selected foreign universities and every effort will be made to provide an opportunity to the IPE National Doctoral Research Scholars to visit a foreign university for a short duration not exceeding three months to carry out collaborative research.
The application forms can be downloaded from IPE website: www.ipeindia.org.
II. ICSSR Institutional Doctoral Fellowship
The IPE under the aegis of Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) offers Doctoral Research Fellowships in social sciences. There is also pay-protection fellowship awarded to the lecturers working in affiliated degree/PG colleges and the members of professional staff in research institutes and the other two are ordinary fellowships. The application form can be down loaded from www.ICSSR.org /www.ipeindia.org.
- A Master’s degree of a recognized university with a first or second class in Social Sciences with atleast 55% marks.
- National Eligibility Test (NET) for JRF/Lecturership is desirable or completion of M.Phil.
- The applicant for fellowships must be registered for Ph.D. Those who are not registered need not apply.
- The value of the fellowship is Rs.16,000/- p.m. (UGC rates) + Contingency Rs.15,000 p.a in case of unemployed scholars. Salary Protection is offered in case of employed lecturers working in affiliated degree/PG colleges.
- The upper age limit for a doctoral fellow is below 35 years (relaxable by 5 years in case of SC/ST).
- For teachers and professional staff of research institutes holding regular posts the upper age limit would be 45 years.
- In exceptional cases , where a candidate is found to have outstanding ability, the age limit may be relaxed marginally at the discretion of ICSSR.
III. IPE Doctoral Reserach Fellowship in Governance and Public PolicyIPE doctoral fellowships will be paid on the same scale as ordinary fellows of the ICSSR. All other rules will be the same as those applicable to the ICSSR research fellows from time to time.
IV. IPE Doctoral Reserach Fellowship in Governance and Public Policy
- Master's degree ( with atleast 55% marks) in social sciences, preferably Political science, Economics, Public Administration or sociology.
- For in service people, Master's degree in any subject with at least five years work experience in government, public sector, civil society, or private sector.
- For people employed in government, public sector, private sector or civil society the quantum of fellowship will depend on the conditions of leave (with pay or without pay) and subject to rules and regulations of IPE.
For further details and downloading of applications please visit our website www.ipeindia.org or contact Dr. Jayasree Ravindran, Assistant Professor & Co-ordinator (Research), Institute of Public Enterprise, OU Campus, Hyderabad-500 007. Phone - 040-2709 9264/6836/8937/8938
ALL THE APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE A COPY OF THE RESEARCH PROPOSAL CLEARLY INDICATING THE TITLE, OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY AND THE METHODOLOGY BEING ADOPTED OR TO BE ADOPTED.
IPE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REJECT INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS